How to Open a Business in Parma Heights
The Parma Heights Building and Service Department would like to welcome you as a new business or new owner to an existing business.
The purpose of this guide is to bring to your attention the licensing and permit procedures involved with being a new owner of a business within our city. Please note that in the event of any change of ownership, the new owner must obtain a new Occupancy Permit* and a new Commercial License* per the Parma Heights Codified Ordinance. (*Licenses and permits do not transfer to new owners!)
The following are the procedures required:
Send a letter of intent to the attention of Robert Sepik, Service Director, 6281 Pearl Road, Parma Heights, Ohio, 44130.
- Your name and the names of any other owners
- home address and phone number
- type of business
- location of business
- hours of operation
- number of employees
- any other information relevant to this new ownership.
This information is not only required for correspondence purposes but also if you should need to be contacted by the Police or Fire Department in case of an emergency.
- Once the letter is received, a representative from the Building Department will contact you. You may be referred to the Planning Commission. Planning Commission meetings are scheduled for the 2nd (second) Wednesday of the month. A fee is required for this meeting. Contact the Building Department at 440-884-9607 for more information.
- A code update inspection is required for the building or space you are occupying. Code updates can be scheduled Monday-Thursday between 9:00 & 11:30 a.m. Should you wish to make any alterations to the building, it is recommended that the Chief Building Official, Assistant Fire Chief and Electrical Inspector be made aware of this at the initial inspection. They will discuss with you the permit requirements for work being done.
- A final code update may be required pending any code violations or work to be completed before the final approval is given.
- Plans for renovations will be sent out to our Plans Examiner. A separate fee for plan review will be paid directly to the Plans Examiner.
- Building permits will be required for any work being done. Fees will be determined. Any contractor working on the job must be registered with the city.
- Contact the Fire Department at (440) 885-1717 if your business involves cooking. You will need a separate permit from the Fire Department.
- Before obtaining any permanent signage, you must obtain a new occupancy permit. A separate sign permit is required. Any signs associated with the business or property must be brought into conformance with our current Sign Code. No pole signs are allowed.
- Once final code update is approved, you will need to apply for an Occupancy Permit. The cost for the Occupancy Permit is $250.00 and it is valid for as long as you remain the owner of the business/property.
- Every business must obtain a Commercial License. The cost is $25.00. This license must be renewed annually.
If you have any questions, please call the Building & Service Department at (440) 884-9607, Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Our goal is to make your transition into our business community as smooth as possible.
Procedures for the City of Parma Heights Commercial Building Permits
- Speak to the Building Department at 440 884-9607 to see if Planning Commission approval is required. A building permit cannot be issued without Planning Commission approval. Complete application for building permit.
- Submit three, (3) sets of plans for work being done. These plans must include:
(A) Dimensioned site plan and topographic survey (if applicable)
(B) Floor plan indicating all existing, abutting floor space, diagrams & details of all new foundation, structural, & mechanical work
(C) Cross-section indicating all materials & attachments
- Building Permit fee is $250.00 plus $10.00 per 100 square feet plus 3% state tax. Electrical, HVAC & Plumbing permits have separate fees. A $100.00 deposit is due at time of application. Costs can vary depending upon the type of permit issued.
- The plans will be processed and sent out to the Plans Examiner for review.
- The Plans Examiner will determine the Plan Review fee. The Plan Review fee must be paid directly to the Plans Eaminer in order for him to finalize the review.
- If application is approved a building permit can be issued. All additional permits (i.e.: electric, heating, plumbing) will be issued at that time.
- A $100.00 bond will be added to permit fee. (Bond will be refunded if all inspections have been made.)
- If application is not approved it may be resubmitted with the additional information requested by the Plans Examiner/Building Department.
- If application is not accepted due to violation of an existing code, a variance may be applied for by contacting the Secretary to the Board of Zoning Appeals. If there is noncompliance with the O.B.B.C., you may appeal through the State of Ohio Board of Building Appeals.
- All contractors working on the job must be registered with the City of Parma Heights. All electric, HVAC, & plumbing contractors must be state licensed.
Community Reinvestment Area Program
In Parma Heights, the entire city is designated as a CRA; Community Reinvestment Area
The CRA Program is a tool used by the City of Parma Heights to:
- Promote the development of new residential and commercial structures, and
- Encourage the revitalization of our existing building stock
Under the CRA Program, residential and commercial property owners are eligible to receive abatement of property taxes up to 100% of the increase in the assessed value of a structure. The abatement permitted differs for new construction projects and projects involving the remodeling of existing structures:
- Ten years for the remodeling of every residential dwelling containing not more than four housing units and upon which the cost of remodeling is at least $2,500, as described in Ohio R.C. 3735.67, and with such exemption being 100% for each of the ten years.
- Ten years for the new construction of owner occupied residential dwellings containing not more than four housing unite, as described in Ohio R.C. 3735.67, with such exemption being 100% for each of the ten years.
- Up to, and including twelve years, and up to, and including 100% for the remodeling of existing commercial and industrial facilities and upon which the cost of remodeling is at least $5,000 as described in Ohio R.C. 3735.67, the term and percentage of which shall be negotiated on a case-by-case basis in advance of remodeling occurring.
- Up to, and including fifteen years, and up to, and including 100% for the construction of new commercial and industrial facilities, the term and percentage of which shall be negotiated on a case-by-case basis in advance of construction occurring.
- All commercial and industrial projects are required to comply with the State application fee requirements of Ohio R.C. 3735.672(c) and the local annual monitoring fee of 1% of the amount of taxes exempted under the agreement a minimum of $500.00 up to a maximum of $2,500 annually unless waived.
Improvements that will increase assessed value tend to be more costly projects such as:
- Adding additional living area
- Gutting and renovating a home or apartment building
- Converting all or part of a non-residential building to a residential use
- Building new or enlarging a garage
- Installing new additional bathroom or toilet
- Adding new porch
- Installing stall shower
- Installing indoor fireplace
- Finishing attic, second floor, or bedroom with paneling, plaster or plasterboard.
Normal repairs and maintenance will not increase the assessed value of a structure.
Properties for which tax abatement has been granted are subject to annual inspections under Section 3735.67 of the Ohio Revised Code.
If you have a project that you believe is eligible under the CRA Program, call the Building Department at 440.884.9607
Traffic Volume Map
Drive Time Analysis
STATE & COUNTY PROGRAMS:
Economic Development Loan Program
Relocating, expanding or building new facilities? Long-term fixed rate financing with interest rates ranging from 2% to 4% can be yours!
In an effort to support the retention and creation of jobs for Cuyahoga County residents, the Economic Development Loan Program provides financial assistance to businesses in the County at these low rates.
For more information, to apply for these programs or to inquire about making Parma Heights your business address, stop by our office located in City Hall, Monday – Friday, 9:00a.m. to 4:00 p.m., or call us at 440-884-9600 x32.
City of Parma Heights
City of Parma Heights
6281 Pearl Road
Parma Heights, Ohio 44130
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.